IMO Instructor training
This IMO instructor training course is delivered in collaboration with Red Ensign Training on the Isle of wight. It is as a blended course specifically designed to meet the requirements of the IMO model course 6.09. It will provide the necessary skills, theory and techniques for those wishing to augment their professional experience by becoming competent trainers working within their maritime area of expertise. The course has been designed to implement STCW95: International Convention on Standards of Training, Certification and Watchkeeping for Seafarers; instructors completing the training should meet the requirement of STCW Regulation 1/6.2.
Content and Objectives
Upon successful completion of the course, holders will be proficient in:
- Planning and preparing effective teaching and learning instruction
- The selection of appropriate methods of instruction and teaching materials
- The evaluation of the teaching and learning process
- This practical course will build on both the theory and techniques of training including:
- Competency based training,
- The roles of the instructor and trainee in Education & Training
- Communication in the learning process
- Planning the learning process, including assessing risk
- The role, types and methods of assessment
- Evaluation & feedback of the learning process
- New course design
- Formal and informal methods
- Practical work
- Role play and simulation
- Power point & Q&A
- Visuals: handouts, boards, graphs, charts, White board, flip charts, interactive boards
- Group work
- E-learning, models , games, internet research
- Video, film & case study
The course is a blend of precourse online elearning and classroom practical training utilising the resources available at Red Ensigns excellent training centre in Cowes. Assessment is carried out by the successful completion of pre-residential e-learning, a final portfolio of material developed throughout the course as well as assessment of practical sessions.
Length of course: 20 hours of precourse elearning followed by 6 days residential training at Red Ensign.
Trainee instructors should already have the necessary competence and technical knowledge and be qualified in the task for which training is to be conducted. It is expected that they have basic computer skills and ideally are familiar with the use of PowerPoint or equivalent.
Course price £800
Please note accommodation can be provided onboard the M/V Sea Trident, moored alongside Red Ensign Training in West Cowes. Offered on a full board basis, cabins with either shared communal washroom or a shared en-suite (subject to availability) at £240 for 6 nights.
Book your course or speak to a Course Leader by calling 01379 676545.