IMO 6.09 Instructor training
This IMO instructor training course is delivered in collaboration with Red Ensign Training on the Isle of wight. It is a blended course specifically designed to meet the requirements of the IMO model course 6.09. It will provide the necessary skills, theory, and techniques for those wishing to augment their professional experience by becoming competent trainers working within their maritime area of expertise. The course has been designed to implement STCW95: International Convention on Standards of Training, Certification and Watchkeeping for Seafarers; instructors completing the training should meet the requirement of STCW Regulation 1/6.2.
Content and Objectives
Upon successful completion of the course, holders will be proficient in:
- Planning and preparing effective teaching and learning instruction
- The selection of appropriate methods of instruction and teaching materials
- The evaluation of the teaching and learning process
This practical course will build on both the theory and techniques of training including:
- Competency-based training
- The roles of the instructor and trainee in Education & Training
- Communication in the learning process
- Planning the learning process, including assessing risk
- The role, types and methods of assessment
- Evaluation & feedback on the learning process
- New course design
- Formal and informal methods
- Practical work
- Roleplay and simulation
- PowerPoint & Q&A
- Visuals: handouts, boards, graphs, charts, Whiteboard, flip charts, interactive boards
- Group work
- E-learning, models, games, internet research
- Video, film & case study
The course is a blend of precourse online e-learning and classroom practical training. Assessment is carried out by the successful completion of pre-course e-learning, and formative assessment completed throughout the course.
Length of course: 20 hours of precourse e-learning followed by a 5-day face-to-face training course.
Trainee instructors should already have the necessary competence and technical knowledge and be qualified in the task for which training is to be conducted. It is expected that they have basic computer skills and ideally are familiar with the use of PowerPoint or equivalent.
Book your course or speak to a Course Leader by calling 01379 676545.